Here at Loch Melfort Hotel we have fantastic dining options including our relaxed Bistro and fine dining Restaurant. Our kitchen sources from local Argyll suppliers and our talented team ensure ingredients are as fresh as possible and cooked to the highest standards. But who is the man behind our mouth-watering dishes? In time for International Chef Day, we sat down with Loch Melfort Hotel’s Head Chef, Roger Brown, to talk food, the environment and Scotland.
1. What was it that initially attracted you to Loch Melfort and the opportunity to cook for our customers?
I was really impressed with Rachel and Calum (the owners) and their commitment to the business, the chance to express my own food philosophy, the chance to use the best local produce. I have worked with Sam the Hotel Manager before, so I knew it would be well run, with a committed team … but mainly it was the good stereo in the kitchen!
2. Your menus are often created around the seasonal produce available from the local area. Do you have a favourite season in terms of ingredients?
Autumn is my favourite season. New season game, wild berries, good availability of local seafood – all give me the opportunity to highlight what the region has to offer.
3. What are your favourite local ingredients to cook with and why?
Gigha Halibut, Askinish Langoustine, seafood basically! Delicious, fantastic provenance, versatile, chance to give guests something unique.
4. How often do you change the menu and where does the inspiration behind your changes come from?
3 or 4 times a year (with the Bistro specials changing daily). I really enjoy creating dishes for the new menu while preparing the current ones and am very much inspired by the seasons.
5. If you could only recommend one dish on our current menu to our customers, which one would it be and why?
I’d recommend 3 courses to have the full dining experience, but the one main I am very proud of is the Wild Boar we have on right now. I’ve been very lucky to source this amazing produce for this season. I let it speak for itself with just a light smoking and an enhancing rosehip sauce.
6. Breakfast or Dinner? Which do you prefer?
Dinner, because of the exciting possibilities to match food and wine and the convivial experience.
7. Loch Melfort Hotel is committed to doing as much as it can to support the environment. What measures have you and your team put in place to reduce waste and be Eco-friendly as possible?
Eco friendly packaging, recycling, beach clean ups, private water supply. We try an obtain as much as we can within the region to reduce our carbon footprint.
8. If you were to write a cookery book, what kind of theme/tone would it take?
It would be a homage to the great companions I have shared my culinary journey with.
Whatever your budget, appetite or occasion we would be delighted to welcome you at Loch Melfort Hotel. View our latest Autumn Menu.
For those requiring accommodation we have a great Autumn Special Offer running now. Save 30% off our Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rates until the 23rd December 2018.